New England Railroad Museums & Railroad Attractions
Listed By States of New England
Maine- (Total Attractions – 8)
- Boothbay Railway Village. 586 Wiscasset Rd., P.O. Box 123, Boothbay, 04537 Phone: 207-633-4727
- Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad – Diesel-powered train excursions between Brooks and Waldo, Maine, operated by the Brooks Preservation Society
- Cole Land Transportation Museum– Collection of antique vehicles from Maine, including diesel engine and caboose; Bangor, Maine
- Downeast Scenic Railroad – 90-minute diesel-powered train excursions from Ellsworth, Maine on the historic Calais Branch Line
- Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum – Operates historic Maine two foot gauge rolling stock, including steam locomotives and vintage diesel, along the shores of Casco Bay in Portland, Maine
- Oakfield Railroad Museum -The restoration of BAR’s historic Oakfield station by the Oakfield Historical Society and it’s acceptance by National Register of Historic Places has to rank as a monument to human persisitence in the face of obstacles.
- Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad– Two-foot gauge steam excursions from Phillips, Maine
- Seashore Trolley Museum – Collection of more than 250 transit vehicles, plus 3.5-mile streetcar rides; Kennebunkport, Maine
- WW&F Railway Museum – Steam excursions on four miles of two-foot gauge Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington Railway; Alna, Maine
- Andover Historical Society. 105 Depot St., P.O. Box 167, Andover, 03216 Dates in May-Oct.: Sat., 10-3, Sun., 12:30-3. Depot museum.
- Ashland Railroad Station Museum. 69 Depot St., Ashland, 03217 Phone: 603-968-7716 July & Aug., Sat., 1-4. Depot museum. Passenger station built c. 1869 by Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad. Remodeled 1891 by Concord & Montreal Railroad. Now a railroad museum operated by the Ashland Historical Society.
- Cafe Lafayette Dinner Train. Route 112, North Woodstock, 03262 Phone: 603-745-3500 Mid-May-Oct. Dinner train.
- CONWAY SCENIC RAILROAD. 38 Norcross Circle, North Conway, 03860 Phone: 800-232-5251 Three excur–sion routes with dining cars.
- Gorham Rail Station Museum. 25 Railroad St., Gorham, 03581 Phone: 603-466-5338 Memorial Day-mid-Oct., weekends, 1-5. Depot museum with rolling stock.
- Hartmann Model Railroad Ltd. 15 Town Hall Rd., Intervale, 03845 Phone: 603-356-9922
- Hobo Railroad. P.O. Box 9, 64 Railroad St., Lincoln, 03251 Phone: 603-745-2135 Scenic excursions, special events, packages, holiday trains, and onboard lunches available. Operate late May through Oct., with Santa Express Trains available on weekends the Friday after Thanksgiving through mid-Dec.
- Klickety-Klack Model Railroad. 8 Elm St., P.O. Box 205, Wolfeboro Falls, 03896 Phone: 603-569-5384 Over 70 buttons to operate trains, lights, sounds, and action.
- MOUNT WASHINGTON COG RAILWAY. Base Rd., Bretton Woods, 03589 Phone: 800-922-8825 Year-round. Cog railway.
- Raymond Historical Society. One Depot Rd., P.O. Box 94, Raymond, 03077 Phone: 603-895-2866
- Sandown Depot Museum. 6 Depot Rd., Sandown, 03873 Open mid-May-mid-Oct., Sat. & Sun., 1-5. Admission is by donation. Museum artifacts include two former 1914 Maine Central Railroad flanger cars, an 1880s velocipede, a restored 1958 Fairmont M-19 track motorcar (speeder), and miscellaneous railroad memorabilia on display in the former 1874 depot.
- White Mountain Central Railroad. 110 Daniel Webster Hwy., Lincoln, 03251 Phone: 603-745-8913 Dates in May-Oct., times vary. Steam train rides. Visit our website for special events.
- Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad. 154 Main St., Meredith, 03253 Phone: 603-745-2135 Scenic excursions along the western shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, caboose rides, and special excursions including our popular Rail & Sail Package, Sun Tan Special, Fall Foliage Trains, and Turkey Dinner Trains. Groups & buses welcome.
Vermont-(Total Attractions – 2)
- Vermont Green Mountain Railroad. 102 Railroad Row, White River Junction, 05001 Phone: 800-707-3530 July-Oct., with year-round specials.
- Shelburne Museum. 6000 Shelburne Rd., Shelburne, 05482 Phone: 802-985-0881 Forty-five acres, 39 buildings, 22 gardens, over 100,000 items in the collection. A steam-boat, carousel, lighthouse, locomotive, blacksmith shop, stellar special exhibitions, and more. May-Oct., daily, 10-5. Nov.-April, Wed.-Sun., 10-5.
Massachusetts-(Total Attractions -7)
- Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum. 10 Willow Creek Rd., Lenox, 01240 Phone: 413-637-2210 June-Oct. Train rides.
- Cape Cod Central Railroad. 252 Main St., Hyannis, 02601 Phone: 888-797-7325 End of May-Oct., see website for schedule. Excursion and dinner train rides.
- Chatham Railroad Museum. 153 Depot Rd., Cha-tham, 02659 Phone: 508-945-5100 mid-June-mid-Sept., Tues.-Sat., 10-4. Depot museum.
- Edaville Family Theme Park. 5 Pine St., South Carver, 02330 Phone: 877-332-8455 Call for dates and times. Train ride.
- Lowell National Historical Park.67 Kirk St., Lowell, 01852 Phone: 978-970-5000 Schedule changes seasonally. Museum with trolley ride.
- Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum. 14 Depot St., Shelburne Falls, 01370 Phone: 413-625-9443 Sat., Sun., & holidays, 11-5, late May through Oct.; also Mon., 1-5, July & Aug. Ride one of the oldest operating trolley cars in the country. No. 10 was built in 1896 and is one of the few wooden trolleys to still be running on the tracks it first ran on 100 years ago.
- Walker Transportation Collection, Beverly Historical Society & Museum. 117 Cabot St., Beverly, 01915 Phone: 978-922-1186 Wed., 7-10. Museum.
Connecticut (Total Attractions – 8)
- Connecticut Antique Machinery Association.Route 7, Kent, 06757 Phone: 860-927-0050 May-Oct., Wed.-Sun., 10-4. Operating steam locomotive, exhibits.
- Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum. 55 Bridge St., Willimantic, 06226 Phone: 860-456-9999 Open May through Oct. Call for dates and hours. Museum.
- Connecticut Trolley Museum. 58 North Rd., East Windsor, 06088 Phone: 860-627-6540 Call or write for hours. Museum and trolley rides.
- Danbury Railway Museum. 120 White St., Danbury, 06810 Phone: 203-778-8337 Year-round. Museum with train ride, April-Nov. Children’s and special events throughout the year.
- Essex Steam Train & Riverboat. 1 Railroad Ave., Essex, 06426 Phone: 800-377-3987 May-Oct. Train ride and riverboat connection. Essex Clipper Dinner Train. Call for schedules. (NEW for 2020 RAILBIKE Adventures)
- Naugatuck Railroad. 242 E. Main St., Thomaston, 06787 Phone: 860-283-7245 May-Oct., Tues., Sat., Sun.,& holidays. Write or call for times. Train rides and depot museum.
- Shore Line Trolley Museum. 17 River St., East Haven, 06512 Phone: 203-467-6927 May, Sept., & Oct.: Sat. & Sun. Daily, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Cars operate frequently until 4:30. Trolley ride. Special events, May-Dec.
- SoNo Switch Tower Museum. 77 Washington St., South Norwalk, 06854 Phone: 203-246-6958 May-Oct., Sat. & Sun., 12-5. Restored 1896 New Haven Railroad switch tower containing 68 working “armstrong” levers.
Rhode Island-(Total Attractions –1)
- Newport Dinner Train. 19 America’s Cup Ave., New-port, 02840 Phone: 800-398-7427 May-Dec. Dinner train.
Page updated 4/1/2022