TRANSPORTATION-


1870- New passenger station built on Lowell estate between Heath and New Heath Street for Boston & Providence Railroad. On Jan 13,1870 John Amory Lowell sold 7,562 sf parcel to

B&P RR.


1872- Highland Street Rwy horsecar line extended from Dudley Street down Blue Hill Avenue to Grove Hall. HS Rwy bought two parcels on Blue Hill Avenue for a passenger waiting room and carbarn. Over the next 16 years more land would be bought – until the yard extended over 5 acres – and more buildings built –including a large 3 story mansard,waiting room stable and carbarn that served electric cars after 1889 and dominated Grove Hall until it was razed about 1925 for a Chevrolet dealership.

1886. Humboldt Avenue completed from Walnut Avenue + Bower St to Seaver Street and Franklin Park entrance, Sept 15, 1886. ( the only entrance FLO designed to Franklin Park on Seaver St faces Humboldt Avenue )It soon became used as streetcar then bus route 45 to Franklin Park and opened up large estate lands to residential subdivision.

MBTA Orange Line – Roxbury Crossing Station

1888 Roxbury Crossing passenger station. Opened Nov 1888 Triangular building designed by Charles D. Brigham ( Brigham & Spofford) ,architect.


1895- August/Work begun by the New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad on eliminating all grade crossings on the Boston & providence RR from Cumberland St to Forest Hills. Designed and supervised by NYNH&H engineers it consisted of a 4.5 mile long granite wall 12 feet wide with six steel plate bridges at Ruggles, Tremont, Prentiss, Heath st and Hoggs Bridge( Center street). The largest bridge was supported by huge arch over Tremont street built 100 feet wide to accommodate two stations and the new aligned Tremont Street. The Tremont Street bridge caused the reconstruction of Stony Brook culvert which was built under the bridge well underground to support the huge stone abutments; it also destroyed the last vestiges of Pierponts Mill . All work completed at the end of 1897.The next year Columbus Avenue was extended from Northampton Street paralleling the viaduct as far as Center Street –where it took up Lowell street – and then went across vacant land to Egleston Square.


1898- Land taking begun for the new Dudlye Terminal Boston Elevetaed Railway. Deeigned by Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow. Groundbreaking Jan. 23, 1899. Long Hip roof, high vaulted ceiling; pressed metal sheathing over wood frame. Enlarged in 1909 for extension of the cars to Forest Hills. Waiting rooms, platforms and street car ramps designed by Robert S Peabody.


1901- Guild Street carhouse with elevated platform to accommodate 5 tracks. Granite block abutment walls connected to spur line of elevated tracks and at grade brick carbarns.

Completed June 1, 1901.


1909 – Egleston Square station completed in November, Architect unknown.

Robert S Peabody ? Power Station at 3023 Washington Street at Bray Street completed to convert electricity for the line. Robert S. Peabody architect.